Monday, April 6, 2009

Too Busy to Read

My favorite thing to do is read. I used to read a lot when I worked as a way to relax and wind down from a busy day.

Since I've retired, I've kept busy with several volunteer activities that I enjoy doing such as being a member of Friends of the Library to promote reading and supporting the local public library. I work with Adult Literacy as a tutor and am very active in various church programs. This past year I've enrolled in several online writing courses as well as a two year writing program with Christian Writers' Guild.

A few weeks ago, I realized I hadn't read a book for pleasure in a long time. So I've decided to read each night before I go to bed instead of watching the series of news programs I'd been watching.

I'm enjoying reading again and sleeping well at night. The Friends of the Library had a used book sale last week, which gave me an opportunity to stock up on my favorite authors as well as some new authors I'd heard about. One thing about book lovers, we were busy suggesting books we've read to each other.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should revisit a few other things I used to like to do before I let myself get so busy. I just may get out those oil paint brushes up on the closet shelf.

No comments: