Friday, April 17, 2009

Handwritten Letters: A Dying Communication Tool

I received an invitation to join Facebook a few days ago. I decided to take the plunge.

I was nervous about trying it, but it was easier than I thought. As you know I have already entered the world of blogging, having been pushed into it by my young writer friend. I don't have a website, nor my space, or twitter. Those may come along later. I also don't text yet. I guess I should because my grandchildren gave up email long ago. Email went the way of the telephone.

The good thing about all these new ways to communicate is you can do it anytime of day and not worry about bothering people. They'll get to it when they can.

The bad thing is you can't hear their voice or hold a written page to read over and over.

I have letters my mother and grandmother wrote to an aunt of mine many years ago. She sent them to me when she was clearing out things. She died shortly after.

I have my mother's and my aunt's diaries written in their own hand. I also have a notebook with family history my grandmother wrote for me. I even have a couple valentines my dad bought for my mother signed "Love, Eddie". It sounds abrupt, but she knew he meant it with all his heart.

I regret throwing away the letters my mother, grandmother, and two aunts wrote over the years. When I moved and was young, they didn't seem important. I threw my husband's and mine away after I figured out the kids were reading them.

I do save birthday cards and mother's day cards, and even some Christmas cards. I have a folder full of cards people sent me when I had cancer. Those were important to show me I mattered to others. I didn't know that, really.

As fun as modern technology is, I think it will be sad when, in later years, today's young people want to look back at their memories. Where will they be? Someone with more skill than I may know they are all saved somewhere in cyberspace to be retrieved and enjoyed once more. I don't know.

I miss a good old fashioned letter and hearing the voice of my loved ones, but an email, computer card, or facebook contact lets me know I'm not forgotten.

I may have to sign up for texting after all and learn lol, imo, etc to keep in touch with those I love. Love often forces us to learn new things.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking I need to learn texting, too, to communicate with my granddaughter. You're right. I love the old handwritten letters. I haven't learned how to do Facebook yet. I'm impressed that you have.