Friday, July 29, 2011

Class Reunions

I've just returned from my class reunion. I missed the first few years because I lived away and precious vacation time was spent with our parents in Florida and Indiana. We wanted the grandchildren to have as much time as possible with their grandparents. I didn't want to cut into that time to go to a class reunion.

A few years ago, I broke down and we attended the final evening's dinner dance. We only remained a half-hour after the meal because my friend became ill, and we had to leave. Ten years later, I was ready to try it again. This time we decided, we being my husband and myself, decided to take in all the festivities and not just the dinner/dance.

I was able to talk to many former classmates that I hadn't seen since I graduated. Since my husband was in the military, we left my hometown shortly after our marriage to be stationed at numerous sites around the country. At first, I corresponded with some of my friends. After several moves, I lost track with all but a couple of them.

A lot of people looked liked themselves, but just older. Others appeared to be strangers at first, until I read the name tag. Then I would recognize a twinkle of the eye, a certain smile, or the tone of voice.

Our class has such a long list of people who have passed on. It was sad to read their names and know I would not be seeing them again. Several of them were people I had hoped to visit .

Our next reunion will be in five years. I already have plans to attend. I'll not let the time pass this next time around. Remembering the past and the people who lived there is part of who I am. I don't want to lose that again.

If you haven't been, go. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good reminder. I have a reunion coming up next month. Who knows? I might find a character there that I must write about. LOL

Patty said...

It doesn't look like you have been writing much on you blog of late.Unless it opened on an old page.
Will send you an e.